Although our own US companies can't make a good electric, at least there seems to be a pretty amazing one on the horizon, coming from a Chinese company you probably haven't heard of yet, called BYD.
The E6 from BYD motors is a completely environmentally friendly vehicle, with zero pollution and low noise output. Scheduled to go into production in 2010, this vehicle may change the way you think about electric cars.
Here are a few of it's features:
- All chemical substances used in the Fe battery can be recycled.
- Eectrical power consumption: less than 18wh / 100km (62 mi)
- 0 - 160km (100mph) acceleration in 8 seconds
- Top speed of more than 160 kph (100 mph)
- Charges on a normal household electric power socket
- Quick Charge at 50% capacity in 10 minutes
- Range: More than 400km (249 mi) - longest range of its kind in the world
The battery pack is well protected in a specially designed safety cell that is fully integrated into the vehicle. It's powered by the companies core technology, the Fe battery, and there are four different power combinations scheduled for the car.
- 75kW = 101 hp
- 75+40Kw = 101 + 54hp
- 160Kw = 215hp
- 160+40kw = 215+54hp
Find out more about them here...